Kozhikode District - Once the capital of the powerful Zamorins and a prominent trade and commerce centre, Kozhikode was the most important region of Malabar in the days gone by. Today, lush green countrysides, serene beaches, historic sites, wildlife sanutaries, rivers, hills, a unique culture and a warm, friendly ambience make Kozhikode a popular destination.
Kozhikode District found a place in the World History with the discovery of Sea Route to India in 1498 by the Portuguese Navigator Vasco Da Gama. Vasco Da Gama landed at the Kappad sea shore with three vessels and 170 men. A monument is constucted here to commemorate the historical landing.
Kozhikode is a historical town with a hoary past. From time immemorial, the city attracted travellers, with its charming physical features and prosperity.
Kozhikode District Map :
KOZHIKODE CITY – Erstwhile capital of the Zamorins & trading port.
Mananchira Maidan – Originally palace tank of king Mana Vikrama. The historic maidan has been converted into an arcadia with landscaped lawns & gardens, artificial hills, sculptures, open air theatre & musical fountain.
Art gallery & Krishna Menon Museum (West Hill, 5 km) – Art Gallery has paintings of Ravi Varma among other collections. The section dedicated to V.K Krishna Menon displays his personal belongings.
Pazhassi Raja Museum (East Hill, 5 km) – Has mural paintings, bronzes, coins, models of temples, megalithic dolmonoid cysts, umbrella stones, etc.
Thali Shiva Temple – Important temple of erstwhile Zamorin kingdom, built in the 14th century. High laterite walls and expansive temple pond.
The backwaters of Kozhikode – Elathur, the Canoli canal and the Kallai river are favourite haunts for boating.
Korapuzha – An upcoming water sports destination. Venue of Korapuzha Jalotsavam.
KADALUNDI (19 km from Kozhikode) – Bird Sanctuary spread over a cluster of islands surrounded by hillocks. Migratory birds gather during the season, starting from November. Also a potential backwater tourist centre.
Feroke – Ruins of a fort, believed to be built in 1788. More than a dozen tile factories.
Beypore (10 km south) – Historical trading port and fishing centre at the mouth of Chaliyar river. Known for indigenous boat building technology. Mammoth traditional Arabian trading vessels known as Urus or Dhows were built by traditional ship builders here. Now wooden cabin cruisers and pleasure boats are built mainly for export. Beach has a bridge made of huge stones piled together, which makes a 2 km pathway into the sea.
KAPPAD BEACH (16 km) – Vasco da Gama’s landing here in 1498 is commemorated by a small stone monument at the beach. Rocky promontories jutting out to the sea result in a beach of calm waters. 800 year old temple on rock. Ayurvedic health resort nearby.
PERUVANNAMUZHI (60 km) – Peruvannamuzhi dam site. Reservoir has speed boat and row boat facilities. Also, uninhabited islands, bird sanctuary and crocodile farm. ‘Smaraka Thottam’, a garden built in memory of freedom fighters of the region.
TUSHARAGIRI (50 km east) – Two streams meet here to form the Chalippuzha river. River diverges into three waterfalls creating a snowy spray, which gives the name ‘Tusharagiri”. Highest waterfall is Thenpara, which falls 75 m. Trekking tracks; tribal area.
Vadakara (40 km) – Historical town – has a ruined fort. Was the scene of many exploits of Tacholi Othenan, the hero of Vadakkanpattu or the northern ballads of Kerala.
Iringal – Birth place of legendary navigator Kunjali Marakkar, chief of Zamorin’s force. His sword is preserved in the house, which is under state archeology department. Lokanarkavu Bhagavathi Temple (5 km from Vadakara) – Main deity is Goddess Durga, with two adjacent shrines to Vishnu and Shiva. Main Durga temple is believed to be over 1500 years old. Three rock cut caves in the temple premises have beautiful carvings & murals. This temple is frequently alluded to in the northern ballads of Kerala.
Kuttichira – Muccunti mosque has interesting stone inscriptions.
Thikkoti Light house –Light house overlooking Velliyamkallu – a rock dreaded by mariners off Moodadi coast, was build after a ship wreck. Migratory birds visit this area.